With the coronavirus virus everywhere, a clean home is crucial to your household’s health and well-being, particularly with young children. Carpet cleaning is not something that most of us undertake regularly, but we must do so to keep our homes germ-free and protect our families from illness.
10 Carpet Cleaning Tips
- Vacuum your carpets regularly: Regular vacuuming can remove dirt, dust, and debris that can build up over time, preventing stains and prolonging the life of your carpets.
- Act quickly on spills: If a spill occurs, try to blot it up as quickly as possible to prevent it from setting into the carpet fibres.
- Use a stain remover: Keep a stain remover on hand to tackle any spills or stains as soon as they happen.
- Avoid using too much water: Overwetting your carpets can cause mould and mildew to grow, so be sure to use as little water as possible when cleaning.
- Use the right cleaning solution: Different types of carpets require different cleaning solutions, so be sure to use one that is appropriate for your carpet.
- Avoid using harsh chemicals: Many store-bought carpet cleaning solutions contain harsh chemicals that can damage your carpets. Consider using a more natural solution.
- Clean high-traffic areas more frequently: Carpets in high-traffic areas tend to get dirty faster, so be sure to clean them more frequently.
- Use a protector: Apply a carpet protector after cleaning to help prevent future stains.
- Hire a professional: If your carpets are in need of deep cleaning, consider hiring a professional carpet cleaner to ensure they are cleaned properly.
- Maintain your carpets: Regular vacuuming, spot cleaning, and professional cleaning can help maintain the appearance and prolong the life of your carpets.
While performing your regular cleaning, however, it is just as important not to forget the upholstery, carpet, and furniture. Check out these carpet cleaning tips to find out how to keep your carpet safe and clean easily.
Carpets absorb most of the liquids that are spilt on them, including urine and some forms of food. So, to avoid the stains from appearing, make sure that your carpets are cleaned immediately after the spills occur. For example, animals excrete and urinate as well as eat and drink.
Pets are a huge source of stains, germs and spills, and it is important that they are cleaned promptly after eating or drinking to prevent the spread of these microscopic organisms. This is one of the best carpet cleaning tips that will help you maintain your carpets and furniture longer.
The best carpet cleaning tips for spot removal include using steam cleaners. These machines work perfectly on any surface and get deep into the fibres to loosen dirt and soil.
Steam cleaners remove the biggest part of the spill and then use a special carpet cleaner to clean the area thoroughly. When you are done, you will be left with less dirt and no stain on your upholstered furniture. However, if you spill something more indelible, like red paint, you should use a detergent specifically meant for spot removal.
After removing the dirt, rinse with water and dry the area very carefully. If it is not completely dried, there will be streaks, and you will have to repeat the process.
Pets can leave droppings on your carpet, so removing them as soon as possible is important. For example, if you use a spot remover, do not allow it to stay on the carpet for more than fifteen minutes because it will risk attracting more dirt.
The idea is to get as much dirt off the carpet as possible. If you have pets, make sure that you clean up the mess immediately to avoid the pet from getting fleas or other parasites from the soil.
You should also vacuum high-traffic areas regularly. Make sure to choose a vacuum with a rotating head and a HEPA filter. These two features will get rid of dust particles and odours. Your vacuum should also be able to pick up pet hair and dander, which are very difficult to remove with a regular vacuum.
You may also want to increase the frequency of vacuuming high-traffic areas. Doing this will help to keep the dirt from accumulating over time. Invest in a good vacuum cleaner with both suction power and a wet/dry function.
This will allow you to go over high-traffic areas with less effort. A wet/dry function will prevent the suction from being so strong that it actually pulls the dirt into the bag, making it more likely to attract more dirt. Vacuum cleaning is one of the easiest things you can do to maintain the cleanliness of your carpets.
In addition to these tips, you should invest in a carpet cleaner with an automatic system that allows it to clean over a longer period.
This way, you will be able to continue cleaning your carpets for a longer period of time without having to vacuum. A good clean should last for three years; you should expect this to happen for most carpets.
Some of the best carpet cleaners available today have both the wet/dry function and the automatic cycle. The best of the best come from the New England Carpet Cleaners and the Bissell Steam Mop.
These manufacturers have spent many years developing their cleaning products so that they are suited to all carpet types, including vertical carpets. While buying a carpet cleaner is a good idea, you need to make sure that you buy one from a quality manufacturer.
What Makes A Great Carpet Cleaning Company
A great carpet cleaning company will have a combination of several key factors, such as:
- High-quality equipment and cleaning products
- Experienced and well-trained technicians
- Good customer service
- Fair and transparent pricing
- Positive customer reviews and reputation
- Ability to handle a variety of cleaning needs, including stain removal, pet odour removal, and general cleaning.
- Flexibility to work with the customer’s schedule
Overall, a great carpet cleaning company should be able to clean carpets while also effectively providing a positive customer experience.
When looking for carpet cleaning companies in your local region, you should always pick a reliable and established business with plenty of 5-star reviews. Our picks for some local carpet cleaning companies go to:
- North Coast Commercial Cleaners (Sunshine Coast)
- Melbourne carpet cleaners like those at Black & Gold
- North Brisbane, like Proclean
When You Should Invest In Professional Carpet Cleaning
There are several situations where it may be beneficial to invest in professional carpet cleaning:
- Regular maintenance: Carpets should be professionally cleaned every 6 to 12 months to maintain their appearance and prolong their lifespan.
- Stains or spills: If you have a stain or spill on your carpet that you cannot remove on your own, a professional carpet cleaner will have the tools and expertise to remove it effectively.
- High-traffic areas: Carpets in high-traffic areas, such as hallways and entryways, tend to become dirty more quickly and may benefit from a more frequent professional cleaning.
- Allergies or asthma: If someone in your household suffers from allergies or asthma, regular professional carpet cleaning can help remove allergens and irritants from the carpet to improve indoor air quality.
- Moving out or selling a house: If you’re moving out of a rental property or selling a house, professional carpet cleaning can help leave a good impression on the new occupants or potential buyers.
- Pet odour: Regular professional carpet cleaning can help remove pet odour and stains if you have pets.